Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting back on track and moving forward

Go down

Getting back on track and moving forward Empty Getting back on track and moving forward

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Our current host, "NQHost" just isn't working out anymore. Our current outage issues have been caused by their somehow changing our VPS from 4GB of memory to 2, which just isn't going to work for a Minecraft Server. So I looked into various options, and managed to find a host where we can have a better, faster server with dedicated hardware for not too much more expense.

Our current server is like this:
Processor: 2 cores of some lower end Xeon
4GB of some kind of memory
150GB on a "virtual" hard disk, with the actual hard disk being shared between several virtual machines.

Our new server will be like this:
Processor: E3-1230 (3.2Ghz Quad Core + HT)
Memory Type: 8GB DDR3-1333
Memory Amount: 2
Hard Drive Slot 1: 500GB SATA II Enterprise Grade (3.5")

Which we have all to ourselves, all on a 1Gbps port with 3.2TB of available bandwidth per month. Not unlimited, but we will never use it all up, ever. Even back in our most utterly active days, we rarely used more than 300GB per month, so we are all good there.

What does this mean? Better performance, fewer reboots, faster backups, and maybe getting dynmap working again, but don't take that as a given. With the extra power, we can bring back multi-world too and get some good shit going.

The cost of this is $118USD per month, $28 more than our current VPS, which I can pay myself until we can get some new members and donators.

Last edited by Lunar Delta on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Getting back on track and moving forward Empty Re: Getting back on track and moving forward

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Getting back on track and moving forward Snapshot20090505192853

What's the timetable for this btw?

Back to top Go down

Getting back on track and moving forward Empty Re: Getting back on track and moving forward

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:20 pm

The order is already processed, they are just setting up the OS and hardware now. Should be ready by later tonight, although I probably won't get to actually set it up until early tomorrow morning (PST) since I have to go to work. But I will get right on it when I come home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 pm

The server is ready to use and configure. I have about half an hour before I have to leave for work, so I am on it and it feels very speedy and smooth compared to the VPS, even for basic functions. It's almost like I am not even logged into a remote computer. I am starting to feel good about this.

My workplace is less than a mile from here, so I don't technically have to leave until around 10:40 or so in order to get there in time, so I am trying to race to install java and get everything moved over and have the PGenesis.com domain changed before then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 am

Server is up! For the time being, you can connect to 66.85.147.58. The change to the PGenesis.com domain should fully spread within an hour or so.

Performance feels awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 am

My next goal here is to try to get dynmap working again, and then re-inject some fun into this place. We have a lot more options now that I am open to any suggestions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 am

As famously broken record as I am, new map always revitalizes the place.
For example:

1. People who have already built their homes and such have things to do again.

2. Chance to get spawn right this time, maybe even build a city that isn't pinned between mountain and swamp.

3. A bit smaller map initially, so the community doesn't disappear into the woods immediately.

"But we can build on the current map just as well."
Yes we could, but everybody already has their stuff somewhere out there, they have little reason to travel or move to some remote location anymore.

"But my project!"
There are probably less than 5 people occasionally on anymore, who have a ongoing project.
Maybe we'll make something together next time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 am

Getting back on track and moving forward Itoldyoulunar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

Getting back on track and moving forward 4555

I was not expecting this Waily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down