The Next Map

Go down

The Next Map Empty The Next Map

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 am

In anticipation of a new map in the relatively near future, I wanted to try to make a consolidated thread for everything we want changed come the next map. I've seen various requests all over the place, but think Lunar would have an easier time implementing our ideas if we lumped 'em all in one place.
So here we go.
I for one would like to see it made easier to access the amazing cities we have built all over the map. teleporting to spawn and waiting for a boat is rather tedious, and is usually followed by a long walk. I do like voxelports, but having them be the only way out of spawn or to any place except your set home requires a fair chunk of waiting. If they led directly to the cities on all continents I think it would be ok, but standing for <6 minutes and then walking a few hundred makes me feel Sad
If it was up to me, I'd probably make spawn a sort of town square in the first city we make. from there, there should be voxelports to the farthest reaches of the world, and powered minecart tracks to a couple neighboring cities, thus eliminating a flat up wait and letting us look at the landscape instead.
For the map layout itself, I would like to have a super-continent in the middle of the world, with spawn at its center. it could have a frozen north, an arid south and everything in between. Then spam some miscellaneous islands around the perimeter of the world, and throw in a few lakes for good measure.
That's how I would design the next map. How would you?

Back to top Go down

The Next Map Empty Re: The Next Map

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:30 pm

normal generated map imo, with a simple spawn like the one we had 2 maps ago

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

^ This.

The world gen's supposed to be overhauled for 1.8. So lets take it in stride and work with whatever it throws at us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Jake_ace wrote:normal generated map imo, with a simple spawn like the one we had 2 maps ago

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 pm

In the next map I personally dont want continates :I

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Whats the big objection to continents? I think they make the world feel more connected. Why the opposition?
Although, if 1.8 makes biomes bigger, I might prefer to just let it be natural as well....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 pm

They separate from each other, it takes up to 5 minutes to just get to the other continent without tping

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 pm

But with a randomly generated map, hows that to be any different? there will still be massive sprawl, only it will be random.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:34 am

jvossy wrote:But with a randomly generated map, hows that to be any different? there will still be massive sprawl, only it will be random.

A normal map has no voxel ports where you have to wait 5 minutes just to get to an other place.

A normal map has roads that you can walk, and look at others buildings too. (which is way more interesting)

A nomal map also has no gigant oceans.

A normal map has caves that are nor filled with water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:16 am

Alright, I'll certainly give you the watery caves argument.
But our current map has roads. I'll admit waiting for voxels are annoying, but I've already said that, haven't I?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 am

jvossy wrote:Alright, I'll certainly give you the watery caves argument.
But our current map has roads. I'll admit waiting for voxels are annoying, but I've already said that, haven't I?

Please show me the road that goes from the Northwest continent to the Southeast continent...
Even if there would be a road, you would walk a long time AND SEE NOTHING BUT OCEAN.

Do you get what i mean?

I was talking about roads that go everywhere, not roads that are separated by an ocean...

And if the voxelports would have no waiting time, you still need to tp to the spawn, and tp to the next contient, that just feels boring.

On the map before the old map, we all had to walk, the map had no warps and stuff like that.
But instead of 5 miles ocean it was 5 miles of nice stuff to look at. (like the dragon^^)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:00 pm

How about we make proper highways then, starting from spawn city, going to few directions, attach 2-way rails on it and proper stations here and there and you've got couple of nice metropolitan routes. Slap some smaller roads forking from the main highways to other areas and we're good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Waily wrote:-snip-
Bingo. Cut, print, that's a wrap. You're gonna go far, kid.

User has been given an infraction for this post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 am

I would like a map that was normally generated, but with some modifications. Like, maybe add a big ocean with a bunch of islands in it, but still have a big continent with varying biomes and whatnot. Maybe also have some interesting landmasses or natural features.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Fatigued_Llama wrote:
Waily wrote:-snip-

EDIT: Infraction?

User has been given an infraction for this post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Waily wrote:How about we make proper highways then, starting from spawn city, going to few directions, attach 2-way rails on it and proper stations here and there and you've got couple of nice metropolitan routes. Slap some smaller roads forking from the main highways to other areas and we're good.

+1

and what is so horrible about the normal map generator? D:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:03 pm

I love islands.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: