Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

organization of cities

Go down

organization of cities Empty organization of cities

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Hello,
With the increase of new people there seems to be a (large) increase in cities (which could be good!) but at this point I think it is hurting the server as a whole. I find it to be a problem when someone who has been on the server less than one day goes out and says im building a big ugly unorganized city and you cant do a thing about it. well with my proposal I think we can help keep cities organized, clean, and populated.

First thing first is that I believe people need to think a bit before they apply, why should you start a city if only me, myself, and I live in a 200x200 cobble city? there need to be people dedicated to that town.

second thing, This I think is the most important... I think we need to have a system of having cities becoming cities. If you have less than 3 people it is not a city and cannot have certain rights. Where as if you have 5, 10, 15 other people dedicated to your town you should get certain rights and have it boasted as a city.

third thing, Why should we allow those less than trusted/sponsor create a city? it would help reduce alot of clutter if only trusted+ could "apply" to become a city. It would help limit the number of new builders coming on and deciding because they don't have alot of people in their city that they are going to quit and leave this ugly cobble city... Not that all Builders cant create cities, but it would help insure that now new kids would join the server and leave a mess.

and lastly, when you think of countries, you think of maybe one two three major cities of a country, your not thinking of like a billion cities. it should be kept reasonable. There should only be one/two/maybe three major cities per continent. the map is small enough that you can pretty much go corner to corner in no time at all. the farthest walk I have from Crater Colony to a major city is Winland and that is usually less than 5 minute walk.

so thanks for reading and I'd like some feed back please.

Back to top Go down

organization of cities Empty Re: organization of cities

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Two maps ago we had about the same problem. The 3 that really mattered were Reach, New Portland, and Eur's city (the name escapes me). Reach wasn't that well planned out and didn't get far at all. Eur's city kind of took second chair to NP, and although still a fine city, no one went there except to build.

NP really was a crown jewel; organized plots, a rigid set of rules, and a great surveyor/supervisor to keep things in control. It prospered, and people did more than just build there, they lived there. It was socially as much as it was architectural.

So what I'm saying is that the best will last.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:01 am

Fatigued_Llama wrote:and Eur's city (the name escapes me).

NP really was a crown jewel; organized plots, a rigid set of rules, and a great surveyor/supervisor to keep things in control. It prospered, and people did more than just build there, they lived there. It was socially as much as it was architectural.

So what I'm saying is that the best will last.

It was Zephyr

All Hail Lunars greatness at doing things. I dont what the current citys are tbh, I prefer to build by myself anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:03 am

Fatigued_Llama wrote:Reach wasn't that well planned out and didn't get far at all.

i was a cobblebuilder when i started it. did you actually expect a cobblebuilder to PLAN something?

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 am

Strangelob wrote:
Fatigued_Llama wrote:Reach wasn't that well planned out and didn't get far at all.

i was a cobblebuilder when i started it. did you actually expect a cobblebuilder to PLAN something?

Razz

reach sux

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 am

Lets try to find a solution not expand on problems. It may be true that the best will last, but then they leave their hideous mark one the map with a ghost town. I think there needs to be like a forum topic with like a application that a mod or what ever lunar sees fit to check and give a yay or nay. so it would go something like this...

Town Application
Town name:
Purpose Of Town:
Number of dedicated inhabitants:
Have you pre-organized your town:
If so how many plots do you expect:
Where will your town be located:

Something similar to this but honestly we need a system!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I love ghost towns, it adds history to the map. Part of the reason I love the NP map was all the stuff that had been forgotten and unfinished. I loved walking around and stumbling on something I hadn't seen before. (then exploring and blowing it up with TNT)

Builders will come and go, but their creations should stand testament to the time and effort they placed into making this server feel more complete.

Also, hideous mark? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one can't stand pyramids or lifeless towers but people still build them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am

on the old map i would walk along and there would be a ghost town every 5 minutes thats not a mark of history. that is a disgust of ruining beautiful land.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

stroud94 wrote:
third thing, Why should we allow those less than trusted/sponsor create a city? it would help reduce alot of clutter if only trusted+ could "apply" to become a city. It would help limit the number of new builders coming on and deciding because they don't have alot of people in their city that they are going to quit and leave this ugly cobble city... Not that all Builders cant create cities, but it would help insure that now new kids would join the server and leave a mess.

When Merc and I were builders, we made the Undershafts, which was a pretty successful town on it's own.

But I think that any proposals limiting who can build towns, where towns can be built, and rights are foolish.

If there are any unsuccessful or ugly towns that nobody lives in, Lunar is likely to sweep them up. I think most people don't even try to start towns unless they know at least one other person will join them, so I doubt there are any 1-man towns out there.

As Fatigued_Llama said, the best will last.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

stroud94 wrote:on the old map i would walk along and there would be a ghost town every 5 minutes thats not a mark of history. that is a disgust of ruining beautiful land.

The desecration of good land is something I'm not particularly pleased with on this map.

There are very few pieces of good land due to there only being 4 islands, and some people really don't give a fuck what they go around destroying. In the Frozen Wastes I've seen snowy areas with random blotches of grass where people just fucked up the snow because they felt like it. Then you have people destroying trees that can never be grown again.

However, on this map you have the benefit of starting fresh, and if you want to go find untouched land all you really need to do is venture out further than the voxelports. Icemar is in a place where very few people have built, and further out there's even less activity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:24 pm

There's very little activity out in my direction, especially since I'm on the edge of the map.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

stroud94 wrote:on the old map i would walk along and there would be a ghost town every 5 minutes thats not a mark of history. that is a disgust of ruining beautiful land.

What old map?

The last one?

Also, ruining of a beautiful landscape? Minecraft is about gathering resources and doing something with them. Not sitting back and admiring good mapmaking skills

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm

@HMG there are things that should be admired. and there are others that can be used. but when you have huge ugly cobble messes people leave it is honestly sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 pm

i misread "big ugly unorganized city" as "big ugly cobble box" ...not even kidding XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Strangelob wrote:i misread "big ugly unorganized city" as "big ugly cobble box" ...not even kidding XD

in all honest my brother has a big ugly cobble city but its small in the middle of who knows where. cobble cities arent always ugly, but for the most part they are...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum